Sunday, September 25, 2005

Michigan Central Interior


This is the inside of the abandoned Michigan Central Railway station in Detroit.

It cost $15 million to build in 1913. It has been vacant since the 80s.

All of the windows of this eighteen story building are broken and the whole thing is surrounded by a razor wire topped fence with a big lock on the gate.

I had only ever seen it from the Windsor side of the river when, one Sunday afternoon Karmen and I found ourselves in South West Detroit. We decided to take a closer look. While rolling by I noticed that the lock on the gate had been cut. Karmen kept the motor running while I ran inside to take a picture. It was super dark in the main lobby and I didn't have my big flash so I took a couple of rushed snap shots and this is the only one that turned out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Another Apartment in Blogville. said...

not bad for a rushed shot :)
in fact - it's fantastic.
how big can you blow these up, size wise? it's amazing. and i love that it's detroit.
seriously - i'm obsessed.
stalking my way up to number-one-fan status,
dan

11:23 AM  
Blogger James said...

Thanks again.

Most of them could be nicely reproduced at about 8X10 inches.

Some are twice that, while others no more than a few inches wide.

9:41 PM  
Blogger James said...

Also: I've made some nice inkjet prints of some of them, but I don't think they are really archival. I'm looking into doing some that will last for years and years.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Another Apartment in Blogville. said...

these should be in a show.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home