Monday, August 22, 2005

TV never prepared me for this.


I was wrestling with the platesetter at work when my cell phone went off. The caller ID displayed MomandDad so I picked it up hoping I'd get to talk to Dad and everything would become clearer. Dad has a way of putting every little thing in perspective. He does it without trying and without really saying very much. It may just be the sound of his voice.

Well it wasn't my Dad, it was my brother Tim and he didn't calm me down, but he did put every little thing in perspective.

Mom had a heart attack.

I took down some phone numbers and left work early. I phoned my girlfriend Karmen from my car in the parking lot at work. I told her my Mom had had a heart attack and that she wasn't conscious yet. My voice shook a bit, but I didn't cry.

I reminded myself that this was a normal day for the rest of the world and drove home slowly.

I was in bed with my computer trying to find a flight out when my Dad phoned and told me that he had some terrible news. I told him that Tim had already called. He told me that Mom had died. I'm still not sure if I was breathing. I had never heard my Dad's voice shake like that. He told me that her blood pressure had dropped and that she was gone.